Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Continuous Glucose Monitor

Imagine the following is possible...
A little tiny sensor device is inserted under the skin. It then transmits to another device. Portraying a graph with a dot for every blood sugar reading taken every five minutes. Not only is it portrayal of current blood sugars, it lets you know if your following a trend, going up or down. Not only that, but it will beep and warn you if you are going low and high.

Sounds to good to be true right?

WRONG.

I'm talking about a continuous glucose monitor, or CGM for short. This device has been on the market through two major companies, for years. At one point in my life, I had talked to my doctor about getting one of these, but the misconception was and still is, that this device is only for people who are unable to tell when they are going low, and even for uncontrolled type 1 diabetic students living away from parents or alone (such as at college). So that was the end of the conversation about this life changing device.

Well, when I received my Insulin pump in November, in the package, although I never talked to my doctor about it, was the Dexcom G4 CGM. I was very surprised to see that with my shipment, but excited none-the-less. Since being more attuned to the diabetes circuit I had seen the growing use of the CGM device, and was excited to start it up as well.

I started my CGM and my insulin pump on the same day. So I have no comparison of what my blood sugars were like 24/7 before I had the pump.

Now I am on information OVERLOAD!


My first day using my Insulin Pump and CGM (receiver pictured). 
The top is the Dexcom Sensor Site. 

My CGM receiver.  Using a graph of my blood sugars. Not too bad!
My second day using my CGM and pump. I was a perfect 100 (and going down)

It was days like this that I was thankful for having my CGM. 
And Nights like this that look so awesome to see!

Glucose Meter and CGM represent!!! 

If I didn't have this awesome device, I would never see what my blood sugars would do at night!


Some days look like a Roller Coaster. 
Some days are perfect. 

Good thing my Dexcom was there to warn me of those lows!


A Comparison of Blood sugars between my devices. 

I was so Low, that my CGM only registered low. 

A roller coaster for sure. 

Sometimes the sites look bad afterwards..bruised, and irritated. 
Red site, mixed with a little peeling of the adhesive. 


The amazing capabilities of technology. 
I cannot imagine life without the CGM. His name is Dex for short. I am thankful for the moment that I have such great insurance that helps covers the cost of supplies to keep Dex running. Although, the new year is having me apply everything towards my deductible. One month of sensors for Mr. Dex cost me over $300.... ouch. It costs to live..literally!

No comments:

Post a Comment