Thursday, June 19, 2014

Children

Children. That's suchba descriptive title that could mean so many things...

Well this post is about the two beautiful girls who I am currently living with. 

When I was little, I had this "plan." It included, mostly, becoming a teacher and having my own family. Well that "plan" has changed drastically. I am not a teacher, and although I am not single, I have no immediate plans to start a family. 

That being said, I feel I don't have time in my plans to actually be able to do that part of the "plan."

But I'm getting a great dose of what that might look like in the future. I can confidently say though, I'm getting the best form of birth control there is. 

Now this is all fine and dandy, talking about kids, but what does it have to do with diabetes?! Well I'm getting there.

When I first moved into my cousins house where she lives with her 2.5 children and husband, I just passed off my diabetes care. It got put into the back burner. There was so much stuff all happening at once that diabetes and my management of it, unfortunately, had a little set back. I didn't want the 4 and 2 year old to see me do my diabetic care routine, so I hid that part of me away...that is until a perfectly times conference (the students with diabetes one) came into hand and reminded me to not be ashamed, and to take myself for now and the future. 

That being said, I've started to check my blood sugar and insulin no matter who is watching. Well little did I know that the two little "buzzereds" as I call them, would be completely intrigued. Every meal time, they ask me, can we watch you do that finger thing, and the pokey thing? At first I explained to them why I'm doing what I'm doing, and although they don't completely understand, they know it's medicine I have to have everytime I eat a meal. I try to keep them involved by asking them to guess my number, and then to read it off. Yes this also forces my number to be read out loud for anyone else to hear. This and their constant viligence in making sure I test is bringing me out of the diabetes slump I was in. 

So my fear about trying to explain what I'm doing wasn't needed. I can also see that oldest child becoming a doctor someday even. It's her favorite game to play. She's also very demanding that I check myself! 

However great having these children around is, it's not all rainbows and sunshine. We won't go into the screaming, crying, or butt wiping, but I will say that diabetes does get in the way. Last night, I was going to go push them on the swings before dinner, before I walk out the door and head to swings where the two girls were not very patiently waiting for me to help them on and push them, I decided to take a check. I didn't feel 100% I thought maybe I was about 70 or something. What I saw on my meter made my heart drop. It read 37! So before the kids would ask why I had fruit snack before dinner and they didn't, I shoved the whole thing in my mouth. Good thing my cousin was around because the look on my face after I read the number told her that there would be no swinging then, and that we should eat supper first. I'm thankful she was around and could handle the very pouty children as they were forced to come back inside.its situations like this that I wonder if I could ever have children without a constant feer or worry that I can't take care of myself first when needed. 

Children of my own is something pretty far down in my future. For now, I'll stick being the favorite cousin, who gets to play all day and doesn't have to do bath time! 


No comments:

Post a Comment